Birth-3 Teaching Assistant
Department: Early Childhood Education
The Community Action Partnership (CAP) of Lancaster County is seeking a dedicated and energetic, full-time Birth-3 Teaching Assistant. This position is part of the Head Start teaching team that has a primary classroom placement. Their role is to support the Lead Teacher and the children in the classroom. CAP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements curriculum practices in accordance with program guidelines and Head Start initiatives (obesity prevention, school readiness, family literacy, Pyramid model/program-wide positive behavior support, dual language learners/multicultural practices, fatherhood initiatives)
- Assesses children’s developmental levels using a variety of assessment tools and plans lessons with Lead Teacher
- Collaborates with Lead Teacher using & following screening and referral system for children suspected if having a disability
- Implements preventive mental health practices and teaches social emotional skills; implements interventions with support from intra/inter agency teams (Early Learning Coordinator, behavioral health team, and Mental Health Consultant)
- Uses assessment to develop long and short range plans for parents participating in their child’s learning experiences
- Provides support and supervision to Floating Sub(s), Bus Monitor(s), outside agency or community and/or parent volunteers in the absence of the teacher
- Follows and supervises all Community Action Partnership/Head Start policies, procedure and systems
- Collaborates with Lead Teacher in delivering evidence based family engagement practices that reflect the Head Start PFCE Framework
- Implements behavior support plans as needed. Assist in following screening and referral system for referring children with challenging behavior and mental health concerns
Education, Experience & Requirement
- Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development Associate credential or will enroll in a Child Development Associate credential not later than 1 year after beginning employment in this position
- Ability to speak, read, and write fluent in English; effective communication skills both orally and written
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as performance standards, information memoranda and program guidance
- Ability to speak effectively in meetings with families, staff, and community partners
- Ability to work flexible hours and attend night and out of town meetings as necessary
- PA Act 33 and 34 certifiable, FBI clearances. Respect and sensitivity towards cultural differences
- Demonstrate success in working as a team member
- Current driver’s license and vehicle available to travel to Head Start sites and professional development
Community Action Partnership of Lancaster County is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, citizenship, veteran status or genetic information
All job applicants must submit a completed CAP Employment Application form in addition to any other materials requested (resume, transcripts, etc.). Please email to Staffing@caplanc.org.
CAP employees are required to have three background clearances (Child Abuse, Criminal and FBI).
If you do not have the clearances, CAP will provide forms and related information about the application process.