Department: Domestic Violence Services
The Community Action Partnership (CAP) of Lancaster is seeking a full time Legal Advocate to provide legal representation to victims of domestic violence in family law matters, to perform all job functions in a manner that is trauma informed, culturally competent, and consistent with DVSLC mission, values, philosophy, and policies. CAP offers a competitive compensation and benefit package.
Education, Work Experience & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in social science preferred and 3-5 years of related experience or 5 years of related experience
- Knowledge of the judicial system through prior work within the legal system as paralegal or advocate
- Bilingual Spanish; preferred
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must understand the issues of domestic violence and have knowledge of trauma informed practice/ provide services consisted with best practices in this area
- Ability to work with people of different ethnic, racial and social-economic backgrounds who have experienced trauma
- Must be able to solve problems and advocate on behalf of the clients to assist in obtaining resources to meet client goals and funding outcomes/flexible in a crisis-oriented environment.
- Must work effectively and professionally with court personnel, judges, lawyers, police and district justices
- Must have excellent up to date knowledge of computers and complete mandatory 40 hours Domestic Violence Training within 6 months of employment
- Child Abuse, PA Criminal Background and FBI clearances required at start of employment.
Skills and Experience
Skills and Knowledge:
- Provide counseling that informs victims of legal options available to include but not limited to: Protection for Abuse Orders, child and/or spousal support, custody, divorce and other related issues.
- Assist with the Pro se filing of Temporary Protection form Abuse (PFA) Petitions; and presentation of Orders and Notice to be presented to the courts.
- Accompany victims to PFA courts to assist, advocate and provide emotional support including meaningful referrals to resources where relationships have been established within the community as well as within DVSLC and DVLC
- Work collaboratively with Bail Administrative and other referral sources to provide services that are timely and consistent with funding requirements
- Accurately record services provided, time spend on victims’ cases, and any other relevant information in confidential database and complete all necessary forms required for client cases and funding sources in a social service database
Community Action Partnership of Lancaster County is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, gender, disability, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, citizenship, veteran status or genetic information.
Go back to jobs list