Preschool Teaching Assistant
Department: Early Childhood Education
The Community Action Partnership (CAP) of Lancaster County is seeking a dedicated full-time Teaching Assistant who will directly support the Lancaster County Head Start (LCHS) program. The successful candidate will assist in implementing practices in accordance with program guidelines and Head Start initiatives. This position is part of the Head Start teaching team that has primary classroom placement. Main role is to support the Lead Teacher and the children I the classroom. CAP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Sets and maintains classroom environment; insures safety and health procedures are in place; plans and implements program instructional strategies along with Lead Teacher
- Implements curriculum practices in accordance with program guidelines and Head Start initiatives (obesity prevention, school readiness, family literacy, Pyramid model/program-wide positive behavior support, dual language learners/multicultural practices, fatherhood initiatives)
- Enters GOLD observations and assigns levels on continuum that accurately reflect authentic descriptions of children’s behavior
- Assesses children’s developmental level using a variety of assessment tools and plans lessons with Lead Teacher
- Collaborates with Lead Teacher in the observation of children in the classroom and collecting data for GOLD assessment to inform differentiated & individual instruction, scaffolding children’s learning & meeting program readiness goals
- Collaborates with Lead Teacher using & following screening and referral system for children suspected of having a disability
- Assist in following screening and referral system for referring children with challenging behavior and mental health concerns
- Uses assessment to develop long and short range plans for parent’s participation in their child’s learning experience
- Maintain current knowledge of curriculum practices and reflects on school readiness goals and coaching feedback to set professional goals
Education, Experience & Requirements
- Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or Child Development Associate credentials (CDA) or will enroll in a Child Development Associate credential not later than 1 year after beginning employment
- Ability to read and interpret documents, such as, performance standards, information memoranda and program guidance; ability to write reports and correspondence; ability to speak effectively before groups of clients, employees and community partners
- Ability to use data base software to enter program data and Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to work flexible hours and attend evening and out-of-town trainings
- Respect and sensitivity toward cultural differences. Ability to collaborate working as a team member
- Current driver’s license and vehicle available to travel to Head Start sites and professional development
- Current driver’s license and vehicle available to travel to Head Start sites, home visits and professional development
- Ability to lift 25lbs and move 50lbs with the assistance of a wheeled cart
- Ability to work flexible hours and attend night out of town meetings as necessary
- Respect and sensitivity towards cultural differences. PA Act 33 and 34 clearances; FBI clearances
- Demonstrate success in working as a team member
Community Action Partnership of Lancaster County is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, gender, disability, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, citizenship, veteran status or genetic information.
All job applicants must submit a completed CAP Employment Application form in addition to any other materials requested (resume, transcripts, etc.). Please email to Staffing@caplanc.org.
CAP employees are required to have three background clearances (Child Abuse, Criminal and FBI).
If you do not have the clearances, CAP will provide forms and related information about the application process.