Welcome to the DVS Holiday Shop
The holiday season is a busy time of year for everyone, including DVS!
In addition to the housing, legal and supportive services that are provided year-round, we also support domestic violence survivors in honoring their family traditions and creating new memories with their children – especially during the winter holidays!
In 2019, we created the first DVS Holiday Shop – a personal holiday shopping experience at a nearby location for our Safe House and community families.
The Shop is set up like a beautiful store! We partnered with numerous businesses, community, and faith-based organizations to collect donations of holiday gifts for all ages. We set up two “shops” – one for adults to shop for their children, and one for children to shop for their parent.
At that first Holiday Shop (December 18, 2019), DVS team members and volunteers helped 29 families identify a shopping time that was convenient for them. Twenty-two volunteers provided a personal shopping experience for 29 adults and 70 children, complete with a gift-wrapping station.
Local musicians provided entertainment, including a holiday sing-along! Cookies and hot cocoa, children’s crafts and activities, and festive decorations ensured that everyone involved was touched by the holiday spirit.
COVID limited our options for 2020 and 2021, but we are currently planning our 2022 Holiday Shop – the specific date in December and location of the shop are yet to be announced.
This is how you and/or your organization can get involved!
- Donate unwrapped gifts from our child, teen and adult wish lists to the Holiday Shop. All gifts must arrive unwrapped to be included in the Shop, and gift-wrapping is provided by volunteers, or may be done by the shoppers if they wish.
- Donate wrapping supplies, including tape, boxes, gift bags, tissue paper, and festive wrap!
- Donate gift cards from major stores (Target, Walmart, Boscov’s, Amazon, etc.) for families to shop for needed items, and/or donate funds with which the DVS team can purchase needed items for the Holiday Shop.
- Volunteer at the Holiday Shop! We need:
- Set-Up Crew (the day before the event)
- Personal shoppers to assist adults and children in selecting gifts
- Adults or teens to facilitate children’s activities
- Gift wrappers
- Musicians and singers
- Clean-up Crew
- Donate snacks and beverages for the Holiday Shop! Hot chocolate, tea, soft drinks, water, cookies and other snacks are welcome.
Thank you for supporting the DVS Holiday Shop experience for domestic violence survivors. For survivors, the ability to shop for their children’s gifts is an experience that contributes to their sense of agency and autonomy.
For Wish Lists and gift donations:
Deb Manning, Children’s Program Coordinator
email@example.com | 717-299-9677 Ext. 3175
For Volunteer Opportunities:
Angela Keen, Community Outreach & Volunteer Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org | 717-299-9677 Ext. 3176
About Domestic Violence Services of Lancaster County (DVS) – DVS is a catalyst to eliminate domestic violence in Lancaster County through direct service, advocacy, and social change. DVS offers 24/7 hotline and text line, emergency shelter, counseling, children’s programming, legal advocacy and representation, and transitional housing. All services are free of charge and strictly confidential. DVS hosts professional trainings and community education and prevention sessions for schools, businesses and community and faith-based organizations. For more information, visit caplanc.org/DVS.