The Nutrition Education Program (NEP), is a SNAP-Ed program funded by the US Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service (FNS).
SNAP-Ed is an evidence-based program that helps people lead healthy, active lives. SNAP-Ed teaches people how to make their SNAP dollars stretch, how to shop for and cook healthy meals, and how to stay physically active. SNAP-Ed partners with state and local organizations to meet people where they are. SNAP-Ed initiatives include nutrition education classes, social marketing campaigns, and efforts to improve policies, systems, and the environment (PSEs) of communities.
NEP offers evidence-based nutrition lessons and food tastings to SNAP eligible residents of all ages in Lancaster County. Our program sites include:
- Public schools where at least 50% of the students qualify for the free or reduced school lunch program including the schools in the School District of Lancaster
- Head Start
- Food Pantries
- Senior Centers
- Community Centers
- Other organizations including PA Career Link, CSG, public housing sites, Boys and Girls Club
NEP offers children and adults the chance to try new foods that are healthy and budget-friendly!
Nutrition lessons and cooking classes focus on the following topics: making informed decisions when using SNAP benefits to stretch food budgets, meal planning, preparing healthy foods, MyPlate and the five food groups, food safety, healthy beverages, and shopping at a Farmer’s Markets.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
- March/April – Spring Vegetables Making Their Debut (English) | (Spanish)
- January/February – Soup is the Song of the Hearth and the Home (English) | (Spanish)
- September/October – Meal Prep Made Easy (English) | (Spanish)
- June/July 2022 – Reduce Food Waste in Your Home (English) | (Spanish)
- April/May 2022 – Cooking Safety & Preventing Food Poison (English) | (Spanish)
- February/March 2022 – Safe Food Handling (English) | (Spanish)
- December 2021 – My Plate Holiday Makeover (English) | (Spanish)
- November 2021 – Eating Away from Home (English) | (Spanish)
- October 2021 – Stretching Your Food Dollars (English) | (Spanish)
- September 2021 – Cut the Salt (English) | (Spanish)
- August 2021 – Storing Summer Produce (English) | (Spanish)
- July 2021 – Shopping @ The Farmer’s Market (English) | (Spanish)
- June 2021 – What’s in Season this Summer (English) | (Spanish)
- May 2021 – Portion Distortion (English) | (Spanish)
- April 2021 – Focus on Fiber (English) | (Spanish)
- March 2021 – Go Green With Your Diet (English) | (Spanish)
- January/February 2021 – Setting SMART Goals (English) | (Spanish)
This institution is an equal opportunity provider. This material was funded by USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) through the PA Department of Human Services.