Domestic violence impacts millions of people each year, but it can be prevented. It requires the collective voice and power of individuals, families, institutions, and systems – each whose “one thing” adds a valuable and powerful component to transforming our communities.
Every day, we all have the opportunity to educate others about the impact of domestic violence and encourage them to take action. The #1Thing message helps individuals and communities to articulate and understand how our collective “one things” can lead to the social transformation we all desire to see. Many people care and understand that domestic violence is a serious public health problem, but they don’t take action.
They want to do something but believe their actions can’t make a difference, but imagine if 7.4 billion individuals each commit to doing one thing – this collective action will definitely create real social transformation. Change can start with only #1Thing.
#1Thing is about moving people from awareness to action. It inspires thinking about how they, as individuals, can take small steps that leads to real change.
#1Thing Key Messages
- The #1Thing that will end domestic violence is our collective power.
- Healing from domestic violence requires our collective One Things.
- We can all do #1Thing towards eradicating domestic violence.
- Sharing our stories can have a ripple effect and can inspire others to action.
- Our collective One Things are valuable for systems advocacy.
- #1Thing offers the community tangible ways to get involved in the effort to end domestic violence.